“A low literacy and education rate, the dowry tradition, widespread domestic abuse…all cry out for action…millions of children (90% girls) are abandoned and involved in prostitution in various cities of India.” ~ Operation World (2010)
The Challenge: India has a very low literacy and education rate, especially among girls and women. The dowry tradition is detrimental to the livelihood of women and domestic abuse is rampant among Indian families.
How STEP is Facing the Lack of Life Skills Training in India
Sewing & Handicraft
- We understand that teaching women to sew and be proficient in various crafts will help them gain confidence and provides an avenue for women to support their families with an income.
- We anticipate training 100+ women each year in sewing and handicraft activities.
- We give away sewing machines to women who graduate from our program so they can continue to earn a livelihood for their families.
Counseling & Workshop
- We provide counseling to women in the training center for the many who are victims of domestic and sexual abuse.
- We offer opportunities for women to meet Jesus Christ.
- We impart holistic care for the oppressed and strive to meet women’s material, emotional, and spiritual needs.
- We advocate for hurting women to find her truest identity as a child of God and believe this discovery can transform individual lives spreading to impact entire families, villages, and the world.
How You Can Help STEP Provide Life-Changing Skills to Indian Women
- Become a financial partner to assist in covering upfront costs and ongoing support.
- A donation of $150 provides one sewing machine.
- A pledge of $25 a month will sponsor a woman through our Life Skills Training course and fulfill life changing physical and spiritual needs.