Frequently Asked Questions
STEP International is an indigenous organization, committed to transform the lives of destitute children, oppressed women and communites in South Asia through holistic actions. Our programs are run and administred by indignous workers in countries like India.
STEP International is a Gold Level GuideStar Exchange member. We are committed to financial transparency, integrity. Our core purpose is to empower local communities will continue to be unwavering. Be assured, STEP is committed to invest at least 80 cents of every dollar to fund the programs that benefit our STEP-assisted programs.
Today STEP works in South Asia, mainly in Northern India and in the border regions of Nepal and Bhutan.
The hallmark of STEP’s work is “community based” development programs for the local people, operated by the national workers in the fields. Through various holisitc services we are able to participate in programs that offers life-changing benefits that range from discipleship opportunities to life-skill training.
STEP International works with international organizations, church partners representing various denominations. We are evangelical in commitment and we suscribe to the “Lausanne Covenant.”
- A focus on holistic development: Our program targets the needs of individuals in the local communities to create a sustainable effect.
- National workers and Local initiatives: Every single project is initiated by local leadership team in the field, compatible with local cultures and values. Our programs are of the local people, by the local people and for the local people.
- Low-cost and Life changing Experience: Our goal is to reach the least-reached with most effective ways that are “low-cost but changing every sphere of life ranging from education to life-skill training.”
80 percent of total expenditures applied to program activities, with less than 20 percent being used for salaries, fundraising and administration. Our finances are audited by Certified Public Accountants (CPA) in every country where we work.
A sponsor is someone like you who has made the decision to personally invest in the lives of people in South Asia facing poverty, discrimnation and difficult situations. As a sponsor, you are creating opportunties for local communities to participate in programs that offers life-changing benefits including help with:
- Life skills development
- Discipleship training
- Women empowerment programs
STEP International works exclusively through local leadership team in each field country to launch, run and operate projects to benefit local communities. Local leadership team is personally acquainted with the local people and knows their unique needs. We conduct audit regularly to make sure funds are properly received, tracked and managed. We work hard to monitor and evaluate (both quanitative and qualitative) each project in terms of program effectiveness and long-term impact.
Yes. All contributions are tax-deductible in the United States and Canada. We issue tax-deductible receipts for your contributions at end of the year.
STEP International regularly organizes “Learning Tours.” This is an opportunity for the STEP sponsors and potential partners to visit projects in South Asia. In addition, we will send you periodic updates and newsletters about situations in the field countries and how projects are progressing.
If you choose to sponsor a child, the cost is only $25 per month. This amount covers monthly tuition fees, a nutrious meal and transportation to and from our English Medium School.
We offer two types of child sponsorship programs.
Gold Sponsorship: Several children studying in English Medium School are very poor. They are not able to afford any amount towards their schooling. Per month for a child is cost $50. This means each child has two sponsors.
Silver Sponsorship: Those children in this category are able to afford partial finance towards their schooling. The child you’re helping has just one sponsor. No other group or individual will also sponsor the child you help from Silver category.
We are a holistic development ministry that focuses on the full development of the child through education. We are an indigenous organization that works through the local/national workers. Our local resources and national workers greatly help to be effective in reducing the cost of operations.
The child you sponsor through STEP International will receive opportunities and services that most of the developing world’s poorest children never see. These opportunities and services include:
- A window to opportunity of an education:Our English Medium School provides the cost of school fees, clothing and supplies. Your sponsorship will allow one special child to stay in school longer if formal schooling is an option and get the most out of his or her education.
- Nutrious meal and good health:The health of the child you sponsor will be monitored and care will be provided as needed. Children are taught about hygiene and how to maintain personal health. In addition, and according to their needs, every child receive nutrious and supplementary food.
- The opportunity to develop self-confidence and social skills:The child you sponsor will be part of a holistic-based program where our national workers often visit them in their homes, offer love, guidance, personal attention, guided recreation and safety.
AmazonSmile is a way for you to have 0.5% of your eligible Amazon.com purchases donated non-profit charities of your choice. It’s free and easy to participate. Your shopping makes a difference. Do your regular Amazon shopping at smile.amazon.com/ch/82-2535032 and Amazon donates to STEP International.